From Miami something positive this way comes...
Starting this this weekend, the University of Miami Jerry Herman Ring Theatre is presenting five plays written by the controversial Cuban playwright Virgilio Piñera, in a grand production entitled "Absurd Celebration: The First International Festival of Virgilio Piñera's Theatre." The first play, Aire Frio (Cold Air), opens on Friday, with the four subsequent plays to follow each weekend for the next month.
According to this report, from the Miami New Times, the production involves two theatre groups from Cuba, a very welcome collaboration indeed.
The schedule for the five plays, and their associated production companies, are as follows:
- Aire Frío (Cold Air) by Argos Teatro, Cuba. Aug. 17-19
- El juego de Electra (Electra's Play ) by Artes y Producciones Artísticas, Spain. Aug. 24-26
- Los siervos (The Serfs) by Teatro de la Luna, Cuba. Aug. 31-Sept. 2
- Una caja de zapatos vacía (An Empty Shoebox) by E. G. Production, USA. Sept. 7 - 9
- Carrying Water in a Sieve, an evening of two one-act plays, You Always Forget Something and False Alarm, by UM Department of Theatre Arts, USA. Sept. 14 - 22, 2012.